Monday, September 2, 2013

K-Pop Music

Recently, I was sorting through the song lists on my iPhone and realised something astounding.

I grew up listening to English songs by Pet Shop Boys, Bon Jovi, Prince, or Chinese songs by 王傑, 周华健, 张信哲, just to name a few. All these songs have always been a part of me for almost 3 decades. However, in the past 1-2 years, my taste for music has changed. In fact, on my iPhone playlist, 90% of it are K-Pop music! I am K-Pop-nised.

How many K-Pop singers / groups do you know?
Here are some of my favourites, just to share with you.

씨엔블루 (C.N. Blue)
Rock band formed in 2009. The band consists of Jung Yong-hwa (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Lee Jong-hyun (lead guitar, vocals), Lee Jung Shin (bass guitar, vocals) and Kang Min-hyuk (drums, vocals).

 

빅뱅 (Big Bang)
Male pop group formed in 2006. The group consists of G-Dragon, T.O.P, Taeyang, Daesung, and Seungri. Big Bang is known for their unique urban-originated music and fashion style.

 

소녀시대 (SNSD)
Girl pop group formed in 2007. The nine member group consists of Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun. In Japan, they are known as Shoujo Jidai (Japanese; 少女時代). The group's immense popularity in their native South Korea has earned them titles "The Nation's Singers" and "The Nation's Girl Group".

 

리쌍 (LeeSsang)
Hip-hop duo formed in 2002. Leessang is composed of composed of Kang Hee-gun ("Gary" or "Garie") and Gil Seong-joon ("Gil").

 

김범수 (Kim Bum Soo)
R&B and soul singer who debuted in 1999. He is famous for his smooth vocals and emotive ballads.

These are the top 3 reasons why I listen to K-Pop & watch the MVs.
1. The idols are all very attractive, both male and female. From their fashion and make-up, everything about their stage performance is close to perfection.

2. The dance steps are simply amazing. Be it a solo singer or group of nine like SNSD, their dancing are always so synchronized. Every hand or facial gestures are honed to perfection. It has to be so since every debutant artists will usually have to go through at least 5-7 years of training. Really is hard work produces good results.

3. Though the language is foreign, but the music is universal. The ability to touch one’s heart with just pure singing and music is beyond words. Of course when I google for the translation of the lyrics, it would usually make me like the song even more.

Not planning to convert anyone reading to be like me, but no harm learning a bit more I guess. Actually for a dad with 2 young girls, listening to what is ‘in’ can be a plus. At least my girls will not feel that their dad is out-dated and I know how to enjoy a Psy’s Gangnam Style too.

No comments:

Post a Comment